New Nontoxic Antifreeze
POMONA, Calif., March 25 (UPI) -- Every year, some 90,000 pets and wild animals are poisoned by antifreeze. In 2012, 6,000 people were poisoned by the substance, many of them children.
In unsuspecting hands, the sweet taste and smell of the toxic liquid can entice one to imbibe. And that's bad news.
"Ethylene glycol, the predominant constituent of automotive products, such as antifreeze and deicers, is chemically broken down in the body into toxic compounds," Edward V. Clancy, professor emeritus at California State Polytechnic University, in Pomona, explained in a recent press release. "It and its toxic byproducts first affect the central nervous system, then the heart and finally the kidneys. Drinking sufficient amounts can be fatal."
(go to article)
Submitted Yesterday By: